Immigrate to Canada as a CoupleThe ways to immigrate to Canada as a couple are spousal sponsorship or the spouse joining as a dependent. Canada considers same-sex couples and common-law partners as Spousal relationships for immigration. Canada also provides pathways allowing a person along with the spouse you to immigrate at the same time. Spousal Sponsorship Spousal Sponsorship is a part of Family Class immigration and a quick way to get a partner to Canada. A Sponsor needs to establish Canadian citizenship through an available immigration program. After the Sponsor achieves permanent residence he/she can make an application for sponsorship of the spouse, or for the common-law/conjugal partners.

Relationship Requirements
Spouse In this case the Sponsor and the Sponsored person are legally married. For marriage in Canada, a Certificate of marriage is required from the province where the marriage took place. A marriage outside of Canada must be lawful in the country where it took place as well as Canada. Same-sex marriage that took place outside of Canada cannot be considered under this category but an application can be made under the other two.
Common-Law Partner In this category, the Sponsor and Sponsored person must cohabit consistently for a minimum of one year.
Conjugal Partner This category is for applicants who do not qualify under the other two categories for exceptional circumstances such as same-sex marriage restrictions in their country of origin or other immigration barriers. The Sponsor and Sponsored person must demonstrate a level of commitment (financial ties/emotional ties/joint assets) that spans the period of at least one year.
Requirements for a Sponsor Applicant
  • Age of 18 years
  • Be a Canadian PR / citizen living in Canada
  • Must not have any criminal history
  • Not  been sponsored as a spouse in the past five years
Sponsored Applicant Requirements
  • Age of 16 years
  • Not being closely related to the Sponsor
Express Entry Express Entry system controls the three immigration programs of the federal government. These are:
  • Federal Skilled Workers Program,
  • Canadian Experience Class and finally
  • The Federal Skilled Trades Program
Couples can follow the pathway either as the main applicant listing the spouse, common-law partner/conjugal partners as dependents or naming them as secondary-applicants. They can apply to the FSW and FSTP. Applying with a Main & Secondary Applicant The method requires applicants for providing proof of funds in the FSW and FSTP. It works differently because a partner is also regarded as a contributor to the program. Create your profile in a program under Express Entry, and you have, 1200 points of which, 40 are determined by the profile of a partner.
CRS Factors Your Spouse Adds/Subtracts
Language Proficiency This is determined by the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) that measures your reading, speaking, listening and writing ability in French and English.
Level of Education This measures post-secondary education in or outside of Canada. Maximum points are awarded for Canadian education and degrees equivalent to a Master’s or higher.
Age The highest points are awarded for individuals between the ages of 20 and 29 while no points are awarded for individuals past the age of 47.
Canadian Work Experience This accounts for work experience obtained in Canada, preferably a minimum of two years to score higher.
Consider the strongest partner having a profile before applying and name that person as the main applicant. Applying with Dependents For listing a partner as a dependent it is necessary for the main applicant to provide evidence of adequate funds for settling in Canada.
Financial Requirements
Number of Dependents Funds Required (CAD)
One $12,669
Two $15,772
Three $19,390
Four $23,542
Five $26,701
Six $30,114
Seven $33,528
Each Additional Member $3,414
Other Programs Other ways for immigrating to Canada as a couple include submitting an application for Provincial Nominee Programs of the partner with a strong skill set and sufficient education as the main candidate. The spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner will then be listed as a dependent on the application. Moreover, it is necessary for the main applicant to provide evidence of adequate funds for settling in Canada. The determination of this figure happens, depending upon the dependents in the list. Additionally, if both applicants have the eligibility they can apply separately for their immigration programs. They can withdraw the one when there is a success to get the Invitation to Apply. Provinces Offering PNP: These are Alberta, Manitoba, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, PEI,   Saskatchewan, Yukon, and finally Northwest Territories. All interested persons can contact Zentora for additional details.

Share your Comments
Please Login to view/submit Comments & Replys
Chat live now
Got a Question?
Chat with our Visa Expert