When a candidate weighs the work visa options in Australia there is a choice of the 187 RSMS Visa or TSS (Temporary Skill Shortage) 182 Visa. We look at the major differences of these two sub-classes here. The 187 visa apparently has more benefits. Also, there is an option to move from a TSS visa to a 187 visa through the Temporary Residence Transition Stream after working for the TSS visa for the same sponsor for a period above two years.
These are the streams in RSMS visa:
- The Temporary Residence Transition Stream
- The Direct Entry Stream, for candidates who did not hold a TSS visa previously
- The Agreement Stream, for all employers having a Labor Agreement
Both these visas are employer-sponsored. The TSS visa provides a temporary option lasting four years. Moreover, the 187 RSMS gives the applicant an opportunity to seek Permanent Residency in Australia.
A visa holder of TSS should remain with the sponsoring employer for the visa duration. In case of 187-visa, they can change employers after working for two years. After completing two-years, RSMS visa holders are free to work at any place
Furthermore, employers across Australia can sponsor employees on a TSS visa; but in the 187 visa only employers of regional areas can attract skilled workers
The RSMS visa applies to Australia, except Sydney, the Perth metro area, Newcastle, Brisbane, Wollongong, Melbourne and the Gold Coast.
Meeting the conditions
- There are distinct requirements, in each visa subclass. Moreover, the employers who nominate workers must run a lawful business and have a real requirement for a nominated position to work.
- A major difference between the visa types is that all employers who sponsor a candidate on TSS visas must meet the requirement of training. They need to spend 1% of their payroll to train Australian citizens and PRs. On the other hand; they can donate 2% to a Training Fund. For the 187 visa, employers who sponsor a candidate through the TRTS must meet this training benchmark.
- TSS visa also requires that employees are paid same or above the TSMIT of $53,900.
- 187-visa has no minimum salary requirement; but these employees must pay an acceptable market rate for the workers.
- In both cases there is a need to provide proof of necessary skills, qualifications and experience for the nominated position.
- The skill prerequisite depends on the occupation. Also in some cases there is Licensing and registration requirement.
- In the IELTS the requirement of 6 in all test parts is necessary for RSMS direct entry, and 5 for the TSS visa.
The 187 permanent residency visa
holders can access Australia’s Medicare system and, after some wait can also claim social welfare payments.
The 187 visa
is costlier than the 457 visa
and the processing time is slower. Finally, in case of a candidate living in an area which qualifies for the RSMS visa, the recommendation is for the 187 visa. If there is TSS visa they can transition to PR in the future.